New Academic paper reveals how Tantric / kundalini yoga is Yogi Bhajan's basic faith while Sikhi is only an off-shoot of his Tantric system.

by Gursant Singh ⌂ @, Yuba City California USA, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 14:47 (3999 days ago)

Academic paper reveals how Tantric / kundalini yoga is Yogi Bhajan's basic faith while Sikhi is only an off-shoot of his Tantric system. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17448727.2012.752651
[image]

Dr. Stoeber states in his scholarly report:

1. "Sometimes referred to as ‘gora’ (caucasian or ‘white’) Sikhs – they differ from Punjabi Sikhs most significantly in their emphasis on Kundalini Yoga as a key spiritual practice, though they also are contrasted by the special names they are given, by their reverence towards Yogi Bhajan, by their vegetarianism, by the equality granted to women with respect to Sikh ceremonies and attire, and by their dress – they wear all-white clothing and women as well as men wear turbans."

A. Stoeber cites Yogi Bhajan as claiming that Kriyas, as well as impacting the physical, and emotional and mental realms, lead to:

"–spiritual transformation, and becoming open to one’s higher or Infinite Self or Soul in union with God and integrating this spiritual core with one’s mind and body (Bhajan 2007, 101)."

(The Guru Granth teaches that there is no meditation, ritual, or practice that can buy the Divine One's attention and Grace. Nanak repeatedly says: I have no clever tricks or techniques; You are my only hope, O my Beloved One.)

B. Stoeber says that according the Kundalini Yoga theory, breathing impacts people spiritually, as well.
[image]

C. Stoeber asserts that "Kundalini Yoga asanas are crucial in stimulating kundalini (spiritual energy), which opens one to an awareness of one’s higher Self or Soul in union with ultimate Reality, and in integrating it with one’s egoic self and psychic personality (Bhajan 2007, 100, 101)."

(The Guru Granth teaches that the Naam is the only crucial thing, but serving the poor and oppressed is good too.)

D. Stoeber goes into mudras and mantras having this and that affect, according to Kundalini Yoga,

"They read and contemplate scriptures, they practice the inner cleansing techniques of yoga, and control of the breath. But they cannot escape from the company of the five passions (lust, rage, greed, pride and attachment). They are increasingly bound to egotism.

This is not the way to meet the Supreme One and Only. I have performed these rituals so many times. Finally I collapsed, exhausted, at the door of my Creator and I prayed to the Beloved One, ‘Please, grant me a discerning intellect’”."

Guru Arjan page 642

Dr. Trilochan Singh made this very same conclusion about Yogi Bhajan, in 1977. I quote from the book "Sikhism and Tantric Yoga": Yogi Bhajan, "...honestly replied that Tantra (White as he calls it) is his basic faith while Sikhism is only an off-shoot of his Tantric system. Dr. Trilochan Singh replies, "The reason he (Yogi Bhajan) gave was that he believed Sikhism has no meditation techniques. I (Dr. Trilochan Singh) told him (Yogi Bhajan) that Sikhism has more specific, fruitful, and spiritually exalting techniques of meditation, but his (Yogi Bhajan) misfortune is that he has never studied Siri Guru Granth Sahib, and never cared to live according to Sikh Discipline."

Dr. Trilochan Singh goes on to say, "from the point of view of Sikh philosophy and theology I would like to state that Yogi Bhajan is using the sacred Sikh mantras and the sacred name of Guru Ram Das as a mantle for his Tantric Sex Yoga which would inevitably lead to mental and physical debauchery of those who take his brand of Sikhism contaminated by crazy sex-energizing asanas seriously. Every Sikh having even rudimentary knowledge of Sikhism, and even every non-Sikh scholar of Sikhism, would agree with me that Sikhs and Sikhism in America will go down the drain if these things continue to be practiced secretly or openly in the name of Guru Ram Das, and with sacred Sikh mantras as instruments of this type of Tantric Yoga which is extremely repulsive to Sikhism." You may download Dr. Trilochan Singh's book for free as a pdf at: http://gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?mode=page&id=1

Complete thread: